Fibro adenomas are non-cancerous (benign) and harmless tumors which are made up of fibrous tissues of the breast. These are common in adolescent and young women. The incidence of Fibroadenoma reduces with increasing age.
- Fibroadenomas are smooth, round and easily movable swellings. It is referred as ‘Breast Mouse’ or ‘floating tumor’ as it easily sleeps away from fingers. Size of the tumor may vary from one to five centimeters
- It could be single or multiple. Generally it is painless and may affect both breasts.
- Pain and tenderness (pain when touched) may be present especially before periods and subsides after periods. These cyclical changes are because of the hormonal changes. This is the reason why it is less common after menopause.
Exact cause of Fibroadenoma is unknown. It is because of the cyclical hormonal changes that take place in the body of women of child bearing age.
- Clinical history
- Physical examination
- Mamography – It is the process of using low amplitude x rays to examine breast.
- Biopsy – Women in their teenage do not need biopsy, if lump dissolves on it’s own.
- Sudden increase in size of tumor
- Pain in breast not affected by menstrual cycle
- Hard, immovable tumors
Transformation of Fibroadenoma into cancerous tumor is very rare. Only 0.002-0.012% of the Fibroadenoma convert into cancerous growth.
- Fibroadenoma can subside on it’s own.
- Cryoablation (use of extreme cold to destroy tissue) is safe and effective and less invasive method of treatment for Fibroadenoma.
- Surgical removal may be required in case of large Fibroadenoma.
Homeopathy is strongly suggested in the treatment of Fibroadenoma. Homeopathy can be given as a baseline treatment in mild and moderate cases where as it has good supportive role in advanced cases of tissue changes. The results using homeopathy in the cases of Fibroadenoma are very good.
Homeopathic medicines are prescribed after studying patient’s complete case history. It enhances the body’s self healing mechanism (immunity) thus further recurrence of fibroadenoma can be prevented.